eZ Platform Discussions

Conventions / best practices about words that may not need to be translated

Hi all,

I finally wanted to start contributing to the german translation and walked into an “problem” with the first string I was looking at.
Are there guidelines / best practices / conventions about words that may need no translation.

e.g.: Content type, Content Browser,
Yeah sure one could translate it but imho it makes not that much sense :confused:

And especially in the ez context there are words like, e.g Content and Location where translating could be more confusing than helpful. But if done like that…how to decide?!
An example:
Looking at the eZ Dashboard, I would keep the word Content in the topbar but translate “My Content” in the dashboard widget.

What do you think? I guess thats a problem, not only in german.
Greets Nico

Hello Nico,

I have experienced the same problem while contributing to the Dutch translation for eZ Publish 4.x. I have contacted someone who has been active in the translation/internationalization of a CMS for years now.I asked him this question, let’s see what he comes up with.

I will also dig around a bit, because I know there is a wider translation community (http://opentranslators.org/) that might be able to provide an answer to your question.

Robin

Hi @Nico!

For eZ Platform v1, we are using crowdin for the translation: https://crowdin.com/project/ezplatform. Feel free to join the project if you want to translate eZ Platform.

In crowdin, we have a glossary for the common terms (Content Type, Location,…). So you can contribute and suggest some changes. Regarding the question about translate or not translate, it really depends on the language. It’s really good to have other opinions from other contributors. That’s why we like open-source. :slight_smile:

From a product point of view, I would say the only things I will not translate are product names: eZ Platform Enterprise Edition, eZ Personalization for instance.

Hi @sylvain.guittard,

yeah I did so, and the crowdin in context translation makes it a lot easier to find the right term at the right place.
I will check the glossar there later.

After doing some translations yesterday evening I am more convinced that for Content and Location (in the eZ sense) need a translation close to the original english word. Imho that is important especially when content editors go to the offical documentation, so they know what is meant when they read the terms there.

For now I do what makes sense (at least in my mind) and disucssion can then happen at crowdin or here :smiley:

Thx

This is what I got back from the person I contacted yesterday, who is active for opentranslators.org.

Sylvain pointed to something important, the glossary. This will help you especially when working in a team of translators, so you all use the same words.

Hi Nico,
I am really happy that this discussion is taking place and I guess I am still number one contributor to German Translation and I hope you get this Position from me pretty soon as I badly needed help for the rest :slight_smile:

and now to your point:
I am a huge fan of using the words “Content”, “Location”, “Section”, and … like original and not translated like “Inhalt” or “Ort”… . because they are “Technical Terms” that happens to be English and translating them into any language will bring misunderstanding between developer and other stakeholders later on.

Great to hear :smile:
With Sections you got a good point, I skipped translations with Section yesterday as I was not sure how to deal with them.
I tend to keep Section as Word and accept that the translation then sounds silly or better say not natural.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents as an ex-translator:

I think it’s worth keeping in mind who will be using the translations - for the Admin UI this will not always be developers, who are comfortable with dealing with English terminology on a daily basis, but also editors, marketers, etc., who may not always be 100% savvy in English (if they were, why would they use a translated interface?).

So if the UI is half translated, and half left in English, won’t it force them to basically learn a bunch of completely alien words while their language has perfectly valid equivalents? Just imagine you had to use eZ Platform in Polish and saw the word “Treść” everywhere instead of “Content” :wink: